Salary range: $55,000 - $85,000 p.a. + super (dependent on experience)
Travers bushfire & ecology
is seeking an experienced Botanist to join our team at Kariong, NSW.
As a self-motivated individual, you will have a strong focus on project delivery and client satisfaction. You will apply sound, practical technical solutions to problems, demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and have experience working on multiple projects concurrently.
Degree qualified, you will have a minimum of two (2) years of experience specialising in botany. You will display a high level of self-motivation, energy and confidence, and particularly the ability to manage your tasks as part of project team in a commercial environment. You will have the demonstrated ability to:
- Work to a clearly defined scope of works, program and fee structure based on clients’ needs
- Work with a tight knit project team
- Undertake flora surveys, inclusive of biometric vegetation assessments
- Prepare assessments of impacts on threatened flora, endangered ecological communities and populations, identify offset requirements and undertake other relevant approvals work
- Demonstrated experience in the restoration of bushland with NSW
- Prepare applications for Biobanking statements, EPBC referrals and other statutory applications.
- University degree in related discipline e.g. botany, plant ecology or applied science
- Extensive professional experience in ecological assessment with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in field botany working for an ecological consultancy firm, a bushland regeneration firm, or local government or a government department
- A demonstrated ability to write fluently and concisely in a scientific manner. This would normally be in the form of ecological assessment report/s and or vegetation / bushland management plans.
- A NSW driver’s license – manual transmission
- The ability to work in remote locations with a common sense approach to personal and group safety in bushland settings
- Demonstrated knowledge of local and state government legislation and environmental legislation including biodiversity offsetting.
- A minimum of two work related referees
- Accreditation as a Biobanking Assessor, or previous training and competency in the undertaking of biometric assessment protocols relevant to bio-banking and or bio-certification assessment
- WorkCover White Card and First Aid Certificate
- Experience in manual 4WD vehicle operation
- Knowledge of tree condition assessments (SULE)
- Knowledge of Planning for Bush Fire Protection (2006)
- Arboricultural training and / or experience
- Ability to identify common environmental weeds and noxious species
- Experience in operation, or knowledge, of Trimble Differential GPS
We offer flexible working conditions and a nurturing working environment which empowers staff. You will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from inspiring colleagues as well as having opportunities to work alongside industry experts.
Our office is located at Kariong NSW between Sydney and Newcastle. Most field work is within 4 hours travel time of the office and work in remote locations is required on an occasional basis.
Flexible working hours:
As a field and office based botanist working hours are generally between 9am - 5.30pm with a minimum of a 38-hour week. Occasional out of hours work may be required subject to the project requirements, including occasional weekend work on an overtime basis. Overnight stays are occasionally required for remote locations or sites where return travel on a daily basis is not practical.
- Access to company vehicles for field work
- Overnight expenses covered when undertaking field work, inclusive of a meal allowance
- Flexible working arrangements
- An inclusive and safe work environment
- An opportunity to join a close knit team who are passionate about ecology, science and innovation.
$55,000 - $85,000 per annum, plus superannuation (dependent upon experience).
How to apply
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
addressing the essential and desirable criteria and providing details of at least two work related referees.
25th September, 2017.
31 Aug 2017
25 Sep 2017